NOTE: The Department of Art Research includes Aesthetics, Art History, Comparative Literature, Finnish Literature, Musicology and Theatre Research, which will all be assessed separately.
RESEARCH PROJECTS IN COMPARATIVE LITERATURE 1994-1998
1) GRADUATE SCHOOL OF LITERARY THEORY AND TEXTUALITY
- Funded by the Academy of Finland 1995-1998.
- A joint program with Comparative Literature at the University of Tampere.
- Project leaders: Hannu K. Riikonen (Helsinki) and Pekka Tammi (Tampere); 6 Ph.D. students: 3 in Helsinki and 3 in Tampere; international conferences in collaboration with the University of Uppsala, Sweden and the Institutions of Higher Eeducation in Baltic Countries; guest lecturers Michael Holquist, Peter J. Rabinowitz, Jonathan Culler, Margot Norris, Sheldon Brivic, Peter Brooks and Suzette Henke
- By the end of 1998 3 Ph.D. students in Helsinki have finished their doctoral dissertations.
2) MYTHICAL BODIES. TOPOGRAPHIES OF GREEK MYTH AND EUROPEAN THOUGHT.
- Funded by the Finnish Archaelogical Institute at Athens (1996-98) and the Academy of Finland (1998-); individual members of the research group have received funding from various foundations in Finland and abroad (1995-98).
- From 1998 a joint project with Finnish Archaelogical Institute at Athens.
- Director and convener Kirsti Simonsuuri; 8 members (Ph.D. students): 2 at the Department of Comparative Literature (University of Helsinki), 6 (various disciplines) at the universities of Helsinki, Oulu and Turku.